A healthy adult takes take anywhere between approximately 4,000 and 15,000 steps/day. With that many steps, is becomes very important to select the right footwear. Feet are the foundation of the body and keeping them healthy is important to overall health and fitness. But the sad fact is they are the most neglected part of our body!
Wearing improper or wrong fitted footwear can lead to pain and discomfort for the entire day. Selecting fashionable footwear instead of the footwear which can provide the necessary support to your feet is the main reason behind long term foot-related conditions.
CMM – Your Foot Doctor realizes this and hence we offer a wide range of orthopedic footwear in different styles and colours as per your foot conditions.
What are Orthopedic footwear?
What comes to mind when you think of orthopedic shoes? When people hear about orthopedic footwear they associate them with older people having foot or medical problems wearing ugly footwear. In reality, they can be worn by people of all ages who are suffering from foot related problems and they are available in latest designs.
Let's define the word 'orthopedic'. The word “orthopedic” is formed from two Greek roots; “ortho”, which means “correct” and “pedic”, which means foot. To summarize, “orthopedic” means “correct foot”. Orthopedic footwear are specially designed to support the foot, ankle and leg. They are designed with specific foot-related problems in mind. One can find different footwear for flat feet, plantar fasciitis, swollen feet, and bunion, etc.
How are orthopedic footwear different from regular footwear?
There are few features of orthopedic footwear which sets them apart from regular footwear and help you to get the pain relief and comfort you deserve. Some of them are:
- Removable insole so that you can upgrade to orthotics, diabetic insoles and custom orthotics.
- Extra widths and more sizing options to find the fit that is right for your feet so you never have to worry about your feet being too cramped
- Full-contact arch support for the natural curves of your feet and help to evenly distribute pressure across your feet with each stride
- Taller upper-soles to treat forefoot problems such as hammertoes or bunions
- Easier and adjustable Fastening – Feet related problems can impact your mobility and flexibility. Hence, most of orthopedic footwear comes with Velcro straps for easy fastening. Also for people suffering from swollen feet, adjustable fastening is very useful to adjust footwear as per the swallowing of the foot
- A firm yet flexible midsole that will optimize your body balance and help you to enjoy your activities
- Extra cushioning for all-day comfort
- A deep heel cup to provide the stability with every step you take
- Sole made with Ethylene-vinyl acetate (EVA)
How to know if you need orthopedic Footwear?
Are you suffering from heel pain, corns and calluses or ankle twisting? If you are facing alignment related issues of the foot and ankle which is making walking painful, you should start wearing orthopedic footwear. Here are some of the common symptoms which indicates that it’s time to change your footwear!
- Foot pain or swelling
- Sharp heel pain
- flat foot or high arch
- problems with balance or are falling over
- Recent lower limb injury
- Diabetic foot complications
Tips to choose the right orthopedic footwear for you
The right footwear can help keep your feet healthy and improve your overall fitness. Here are some tips you should keep in mind while buying new orthopedic sandals or slippers:
- Measurement of foot - Get your feet measured every time you buy new footwear. Feet are often different. Hence, make sure both feet are measured properly. Always fit the larger foot - CMM - Your Foot Doctor will make the proper adjustment for the smaller foot. You can also use our foot sizing app available on all the products.
- Understanding Your Arch - Before buying orthopedic footwear, you should know what kind of arch you have. You can do a very simple test at home called the wet foot test or the paper test to see if you have a high, medium, or low arch.
- Right Type of Footwear for Your Arch Type - Now you know about your foot arch, you can choose the right type of footwear to get better support for your foot. To be more precise, it will help you to avoid buying the wrong type of footwear.
- Material of the footwear - While buying any footwear, you should check which material is used. To feel comfortable, select the footwear made from breathable materials to keep your feet happy all day. You should opt for natural materials like cork which are very light weighted and water-resistant. It keeps your footwear dry and keeps you away from infections and fungus.
- Comfort of the Footwear - Footwear should cushion and support your feet, feel comfortable and fit well. If footwear doesn’t feel comfortable then you shouldn’t buy it.
Do I need to seek professional advice before buying a pair of orthopedic shoes?
Not really, but it certainly can help. Buying standard orthopedic footwear might be easy and you can order them online as per your feet size. A orthotist can examine your condition and provide advice on which footwear should work best or can suggest customised orthotics if required. An expert can discuss the correct posture, how to put the shoes and take them off, what will be the ideal sole and many other small details to make sure you wear footwear that is a perfect fit. At CMM we provide physiotherapist and orthotist support to help our patients to get the best footwear posible.
Comfort doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice style. If you have a look at the large variety of men’s and women’s orthopedic footwear for a different foot condition, you will find comfortable yet stylish footwear.