How to Treat Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Conditions
From last year, you all are focusing on protecting yourself from the COVID-19. You are wearing a mask, eating healthy food, sanitizing yourself, improving your immunity, cleaning your home and all the things to stay away from the virus. But while staying at home, have you ever checked the health of your feet?
Your feet is one of the most complex, hard-working part of your body. It has 26 bones and 33 small joints, which are held together by a network of soft tissue made up of muscles, tendons, ligaments, nerves, and blood vessels. But still, it is the most neglected body part during this pandemic.
Why Do I Have pain in my foot or ankle?
Expert recommends doing regular physical activity for at least 60 minutes. It helps to maintain your weight, improve the strength of bones and muscles, and reduce the symptoms of anxiety and stress.
With gyms closed, and no daily commute to the office, your lifestyle has become static. Due to an isolated lifestyle, you are forgotten to pay attention to your feet health. It has increased foot-related problems like feet, ankle, heel, knee, hip and back pain. It limits mobility, increases your chances of falling, which can cause broken bones, dislocated joints and similar orthopaedic injuries.
Pain in the foot and ankle becomes worse if not treated on time and lead to severe problems which require surgery to treat.
What Causes Foot Pain and Ankle Pain?
In most of the cases, foot or ankle pain are caused by
- Fractures and dislocations
- Bursitis (inflammation around the joint)
- Tendonitis (inflammation of the tendons)
- Sprains and strains
- Overuse (repetitive stress to the foot or ankle)
- Diabetic foot problems (neuropathic ulcers and fractures — open wounds, usually caused by diabetes, on the bottom of the foot)
With proper care, foot and ankle pain caused by above reasons can be cured. Otherwise, it can lead to many different foot and ankle problems, including:
- Achilles Tendonitis : The Achilles tendon is a strong, fibrous band of tissue that connects the muscles in the back of your calf to your heel bone. when it ruptures from injury, overuse or degeneration, it causes inflammation and swelling
- Plantar Fasciitis : Heel pain due to chronic inflammation
- Bunion : It's a bony bump that forms on the joint where your big toe meets your foot, leading to deformity of the forefoot and toes
- Lesser toe deformities : Pain or poor flexibility in the smaller four toes. These deformities can be caused by muscle, tendon or ligament imbalance that leads to hammertoe or mallet toe, among others
- High Arched Foot : The foot with a higher than normal arch that causes pain and discomfort
- Flat foot : Foot problems when the arch of the foot makes complete contact with the ground when standing or walking
- Peripheral neuropathy : Pain, weakness or numbness in the foot caused by damage (from an injury, infection, genetics or toxin exposure) to the peripheral nerves located outside the brain or spinal cord
How to treat Foot and Ankle Pain?
- Wear Footwear Inside the House :
Taking off shoes inside the home is also a common practice in India. But due to today’s lifestyle, wearing indoor footwear is one of the best option. It helps to avoid foot and ankle pain to protect your feet from any further issues. You should choose orthopedic footwear ,if there are any serious symptoms in your feet.
- Foot/Lower Limb Stretching Exercises :
As you are spending too much time at home, your feet are not getting enough movement. Hence, simple stretching at home can be very helpful for your feet’s health. There are many simple foot exercises which require no complicated equipment. You can do them at home and make it your regular routine. Regularly exercising and stretching the feet and ankles will provide necessary support and increase the range of motion in the feet to keep you active.
Many people experience foot or ankle pain at some point. All you need to do is take proper care of your feet to keep them strong and improve your overall health. At CMM, we offer comfortable orthopedic footwear in different colours & the latest styles. If you are facing extreme swelling, severe pain and discomfort while walking, you should consult a doctor.